Go Gypsy: Road trip down to Silverlake for the ultimate “gypset” oasis.
We admit it: whenever we’re in LA, we skip Santa Monica & Beverly Hills and head east. We can’t get enough of Silverlake, Los Feliz, & Echo Park, the trifecta of perfect hipness, and we have to share some of our secrets. Et voilà, below we reveal the key to unlocking a refreshing rock & roll-inspired day trip. This is your ultimate guide to Silverlake:
1. Breakfast at Sqirl: for health nuts & hungover hooligans alike. Try the Kokuho Rose Brown Rice Bowl. HEAVEN.
2. Trinkets at Reform School...this place has no shortage of artisan goodness like geometric earrings, vintage clothes, and rosemary-scented lotions.
3. Iced coffee & people-watching at Intelligentsia: we know it’s not the only Intelli, but it’s the best one.
4. Shopping on Hyperion…check out “OK” for marvelous & quirky gifts including great androgynous/unisex items.
5. Dinner at Café Stella where you’ll feel like you’re half in LA, half in Paris.
6. Cocktails at Bar Stella (baby sister of Café Stella). Try to make new friends while you’re there, and see if you can spot cult celebrities like we do every time we go.
Silverlake is the sultry, fascinating lovechild of two cultures in conversation: the older Hispanic family neighborhoods blending with newer hipster enclaves to create an exotically chic, only-in-LA experience. The perfect example of this melding is the achingly cool Cafecito Organico. We don’t blame you if you come back braless or rocking a man bun. Go ahead, embrace your inner bohemian.