10 quick facts about social networking.
- Social networking is the most popular activity online: people spend almost 20% of their online time on social networking sites.
- Social networking is global: In Latin America, Europe, and the Middle-East, three very different regions, social networking accounted for almost a quarter of the time spent online.
- The importance of Facebook cannot be overstated: In October 2011, Facebook, Facebook accounted for approximately 3 in every 4 minutes spent on social networking sites, and 1 in 7 minutes spent online around the world.
- Don’t forget about Twitter: To date, Twitter reaches 1 in 10 internet users.
- Everyone’s on: Users 55 and older represent the fastest growing segment in social networking usage.
- Everyone’s on (2): In North America and Latin America, social networking reached at least 93% of online users age 55 and older.
- Communications are going social: Instead of instant messaging and email, people are using social networks (like Facebook or Twitter) to communicate.
- Mobile devices are fueling social addiction: Nearly 1/3 of the US population with mobile phones reported accessing a social network through their phone.
- In the United States, an average of 7 hours per week is spent on social networks.
- In the United States, 98.3% of the online population visits a social network.
Data taken from Comscore’s “Top 10 Need to Knows about Social Networking and Where It’s Headed.”